Green & Black's Chocolate
Green & Black's 70% Organic Dark Chocolate Bar
|Price||£2 / 100g|
Green & Black's is a UK-based chocolate company, owned by Kraft Foods. The company produces a range of chocolate bars, ice cream, biscuits and hot chocolate, with its principal manufacturing sites in Canada, Poland, and Italy. Its products are Organic and premium-priced.
Green & Black's was founded in 1991 by organic food pioneer Craig Sams and his wife, the magazine editor and journalist Josephine Fairley. The name was derived not from any founders' surnames, but from a wordplay — "Green" standing for the environmental concerns of the founders, and "Black" for the high cocoa solids chocolate they wished to provide. In 1994, the company began purchasingFairtrade Cocoa from Maya] farmers in Belize for the Maya Gold chocolate bar, and was awarded the 1994 Worldaware Business Award for good business practice, as well as the UK's first Fairtrade. The company has a small office in Punta Gorda, Belize.
Green & Black's Australia chocolate announced that it would convert 90% of its range to Fairtrade by the end of 2010, and its entire range by 2011.
In May 2005, Cadbury Schweppes (latterly Cadbury plc) bought Green & Black's for an undisclosed sum, estimated to be around £20m. Cadbury pledged to run the company as a separate business.
On January 19, 2010, Cadbury was taken over by Kraft Foods. Cadbury was valued at £11.5 billion ($19.5 billion US).
All the dark chocolate flavours are vegan
- Green & Black's
- Green & Black's profile
- BBC News: Cadbury gobbles up organic rival
- The Guardian: interview with Craig Sams
- The Observer: How a £1.50 chocolate bar saved a Mayan community from destruction
- Green & Black's Australia going Fair Trade. The Fair Trade Association of Australia and New Zealand
- BBC News: Kraft takes over Cadburys
- "Green & Black's - Organic". Archived from the original on 2007-01-28. http://web.archive.org/web/20070128103733/http://www.greenandblacks.com/uk/Organic.php. Retrieved 2007-02-21.
- http://www.greenandblacks.com/uk/our-story/our-beginning.html greenandblacks.com
- http://www.fta.org.au/news/293?sssdmh=dm16.409959 Fair trade Association Australia and New Zealand